Union Avenue Opera strives to cultivate a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible community where all its constituents including employees, volunteers, performers, and audience members—whatever race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or identity, age, religion, socioeconomic status, education, or ability—feel valued and respected.
As we continue to learn and grow on our DEIA journey, Union Avenue Opera will:
- Continue to explore potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness within our programs.
- Pledge to treat all constituents equitably, eliminating discrimination in all its forms at all organization levels and throughout programs.
- Advocate for and support board-level thinking about how systemic inequities impact our organization’s work and how best to address that in a way that is consistent with our mission.
- Practice and encourage transparent communication.
- Create a workplace culture that reflects the community we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic self to work.
- Build audiences for the arts that are increasingly reflective of the region we serve both through inclusion and access.
- Be active listeners and avoid making assumptions about how to best meet the needs of those in our community.
- Lead with respect and tolerance. We expect all members of the organization to embrace this notion and to express it in commonplace interactions and through everyday practices.